Friday, December 6, 2013

Microsoft - The Great Assumer

As I blogged earlier, I recently got a new laptop with Windows 8 on it.  Microsoft, I believe in trying to make things easier for the less than computer savvy, assumes too much in my option.  My new laptop is made by Lenovo, so I expected that there would be "blow-ware" - demos of those applications they want you to try and sell.  However the basic operating system for Windows has titles on the Metro UI that are for things I don't want or need changed - more than the blow ware from the manufacturer.

Take music for example.  If you click the music tile, you get launched into a music app that takes the music from your PC and makes you sign in with our Microsoft account and presents you with a way to get more music with their app similar to Pandora.  If I wanted their app I would have installed their app, but I can't figure out how to re-program their tile to launch Pandora or my iTunes program.  I guess I will find a way, but it is frustrating to me that I have to go through all kinds of time removing stuff and then re-installing things when I could have just installed something if I wanted it.  Not everyone has the same taste in music.

I suppose Microsoft has done enough focus groups to think they can determine what people want, but I am not thoroughly convinced they pay attention to diversity. IMHO they should leave more to the user to customize their operating system to their own liking rather than assume they know what the average user wants.

No comments:

Post a Comment