Monday, October 8, 2012

Smart Phones and Super Humans

A fascinating article appeared in a recent copy of CNN Tech, about mobile phones and the reasons they have taken over our lives.  They have almost become “phantom limbs” being ubiquitously attached to our person and allowing us to capture the world and stay connected.  Many of the phones are actually life changing, like the phones being used in place of textbooks in an African school.
I know that my phone has been a part of my life steadily since I first got one.  I can’t even remember when I got my first phone, but I do remember that having it created such a send of security knowing that I could connect with someone if there was an emergency.  Thinking once that I would only use it when I absolutely had to, I now find that I use it almost every hour of my waking.  Not having it renders me not unlike an addict without their dose. 
Smart phones are now part of our lives and many people, about 6 billion of us worldwide, know that all too well.  It has been stated that even 68% of us sleep with the devices and 3 out of 4 people are constantly connected.  If something was to happen and mobile phones stopped working, there could possibly be a wave of panic all over the world as we reach for our phones to be connected to nothing.

No comments:

Post a Comment