Thursday, October 17, 2013

Living off the Grid

I have recently become aware of the term "prepper".  It is the name for anyone who is preparing for the apocalypse, or at least a change in life as we know it.  They know how to grow their own food, build their own shelter, and basically live very simply. I recently read an article about a man who left the world as we know it and live without modern day conveniences.  In this article he talks about how he survived and what he did to substitute certain things that we all have come to depend on.

I am not sure that I would totally go this route, but it does make sense to learn how to fend for yourself without the conveniences of just in case something should happen.  For example I don't totally eschew electricity, but I do try to use as little as possible simply for cost cutting measures.  We have done well, my husband and I, because recently I found out how much our neighbor's electricity bill was and we were at least a third less and that is taking into account that we have only two people to their five people living in the house.

The article was very interesting and goes to show the inventiveness that people can employ when they get into a situation where they need to handle something unfamiliar.  But I think that everyone should know certain things so that they can survive if a calamity should occur.  It may not mean living off the grid, but it could save your life.

No comments:

Post a Comment