Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Why?

I have read several articles about the report on Sandy Hook shootings, and they are most disturbing.  It is not only the fact that we will probably never know why he did what he did, but that there were so many signs pointing to the potential of what could happen and nothing was done.  I will admit that I haven't been the best parent in the world, but I think I would have done something if my son was obsessed with mass killings and probably not made guns so readily available.

However, I know the resources that are available to parents dealing with mental illness are very small, especially for those whose financial situations are not good.  Aside from the impression I have that dealing with the mentally ill is such a challenge for anyone, especially a parent whose feelings toward their child can be somewhat defensive.  The stigma of mental illness is such that I would imagine no parent would want to admit that their child has the potential to act out in a manner that could hurt so many.

It is not just the right to bear guns that is the issue here, but the lack of attention to those who can use guns so horribly.  Often even if teachers see behavior that raise red flags they may not have the ability to do anything about it.  I am by no means an expert in these matters, but I would imagine that if more knowledge of warning signs exhibited by the mentally ill toward the potential to mass killings is available, maybe future incidents could be thwarted.  Still there are questions, but it is better to be safe than sorry about this issue.

No comments:

Post a Comment