Monday, April 4, 2011

A Quick Meal

I found the most wonderful product the other day at Wal-Mart’s. I found a package of “restaurant quality” fajita beef in the freezer section. You just have to add the fresh onions and peppers and after a while it’s all there. I have tried many times before seasoning the meat to get that taste, but have not been able to duplicate it. This is just so easy and simple, which makes it a great meal for those nights when I am rushed to get something on the table.

I really kind of hate using packaged things to make dinner, but I don’t always have the time to cook fresh, and the fajita beef is one of the few processed things that I will use. Generally my family eats fairly well, save my son who eats junk. But he basically still a kid. I try to make meals from scratch most every night and it can be a rush situation after work and bike riding. I hate to leave the dinner thing up to my husband who just goes out and buys hoagies or cheesesteaks. He is not much of a cook, content to make buttered noodles as a meal, so making sure I get home and get dinner cooked is paramount in my mind to making sure my family gets good quality food.

I really do love to cook – I love to eat too, as many who know me already have surmised. But I don’t always have the time to do it. I especially love the challenge of coming home and grabbing what I can out of the ‘fridge and pantry and making something up right there on the spot. A lot of those dishes have gotten rave reviews from my little family, but I am hard pressed to replicate it as I rarely measure or keep track of what’s in the creation.

Recently I have started creating a weekly menu and writing the main dish on a white board in the kitchen. It does help with the shopping and I hope it will end up saving money as so things won’t go to waste. But things come up and sometimes I don’t get to the meal I have intended to cook and then forget to put the meat in the freezer. Or maybe I do get it in the freezer but then it stays there and gets freezer burn and I have to throw it out anyway. At any rate the menu thing is working out pretty well and I would recommend it to anyone.

So give the frozen meat from Wal-Mart a try. It is called John Soules Food Beef Fajitas.  It is really quite quick and tasty. Make things easy on yourself once in a while.

No comments:

Post a Comment