Sunday, April 3, 2011

To the Rescue

I came across this picture the other day when I was cleaning out my office. My son was about two when this was taken and he had received the fireman’s hat when we went to the local firehouse for an event there. I am not sure where the push toy came from.  I don’t know what it is about kids sometimes, maybe it was just mine, but sometimes they latch onto a new toy or something and won’t let go. It was that way with the hat and the firetruck toy.

My son is grown up now and time has gone by so fast and sometimes I sit back and wonder about the path his life has taken him. It was not my choice, it was his and I have to learn that no matter what he does, I cannot rescue him from everything as I did when he was little. His boo-boos cannot be taken care of by a kiss on the knee and the boo-boo bunny. I have done the best I can and now it is his decision to take what I have taught him and either use it or lose it.

As a parent, one can only control so much. With my son, I think he stopped listening to me as soon as he entered in to the teen years. He also seemed to stop following my advice shortly thereafter. He was always a strong-willed child and like most teens thinks he knows all. However, the tables will turn at some point and I might be the one who needs to be rescued in my advancing years. I just hope he will be there for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment