Monday, December 12, 2011

Ramble On

Leaves are falling all around
Time I was on my way.
Thanks to you, I am much obliged
For such a pleasant stay.
-          Led Zeppelin

“Ramble On” is one of my favorite songs of all time.  It was popular when I was in my teens (and I know I am dating myself) and I always enjoy listening to it over and over again.  The message behind it is probably lost on me especially when the lyrics start talking about the Lord of the Rings but I don’t mind.  There are times that I just like to listen to the music and not try to figure it out.   Besides I hardly think that there is some deep meaning behind it anyway.

Music has a way of taking one back.  I think the auditory memory, like the olfactory memory is one of the strongest memories that we have.  When I hear a song of my youth, I can remember certain times that were very important to me, or things that were pleasant.  There is one particular Rod Stewart song that reminds me of the times I had driving back and forth to my boyfriend’s house.  Or when I used the car to just cruise around – back in the days when gas was $.36 cents per gallon and I could put a dollar’s worth in the tank to replace what I had used.  Ah, good times.

No comments:

Post a Comment