Thursday, July 26, 2012

Simply Delicious

For the past few months, I have decided that I am not going to eat meat.  I am not calling myself a vegetarian, as I still eat meat, but I have just chosen not to.  When I approached my husband about this, he being the meat and potatoes kind of guy was quite reluctant.  However he said as long as I made it taste good he was willing to eat that way. So as a result I have been doing a lot in trying to make this new eating plan work for both of us.
I went to Wegman’s to get some things the other day and ran across their Natural Selections section.  They have refrigerated section with all manner of soy products including a product called Smart Cutlets from Lightlife.  The cutlets are made to look like grilled chicken and they suggest sautéing it in a pan with some olive oil for about 2 minutes on high and then reducing the temperature, cooking it in the microwave, or grilling them.  I chose the skillet method but since my stove has only one setting, high, it was cooked on high for more than the two suggested minutes (whole new blog entry on that issue).  I basically browned them and then served them with some basic pesto.  They were absolutely delicious!  My husband raved about it all through dinner.  I served them with roasted asparagus with garlic and corn on the cob.  He was in heaven.
I usually don’t like a lot of processed foods, but this doesn’t have a whole lot of fake stuff in it.  It did resemble chicken and I think tasted more or less like chicken, but it was not as dry as a chicken cutlet can turn out to be. The product line for Lightlife has several flavors of these cutlets and you can go to the website to see them.  They also made vegetarian hot dogs and beef-like patties for BBQs along with a large amount of tempehs and texture proteins in a ground beef like product. If you are a long time vegetarian, I am sure you know all about these people.  Otherwise, give the cutlets a try and see if you like eating meatless for a meal or two.

No comments:

Post a Comment