Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Thirty

A few months back, I had to go to the doctor because I was not feeling well.  She percribed blood work and it was reported back to me that my cholesterol was high and of course she wanted to put me on pills because that is what she does.  I refused and decided to approach it the old fashioned way – though diet and exercise.  So for the last two months, I have been eating clean, riding my bike (even in scorching hot weather), and taking a fish oil capsule or two daily.  I had blood drawn a week ago and the office called me yesterday to give me the results.  My cholesterol was down 30 points! 
I really don’t like my doctor because she thinks, as most doctors do, that pills are the only way to fix things.  I suppose that finding the reason for what I came in for is too much of a problem and would be too costly to fix, so she will prescribe a pill for what ails me.  Granted sometimes pills are needed but overall, there are many things that can be fixed by making a change in your life.  I admit that I have been faithfully taking the blood pressure medication because having the symptoms I have been having is very uncomfortable and having my blood pressure totally uncontrolled is dangerous, but I would love to find out the reason why my blood pressure suddenly shot up.  I don’t believe that it is simply because I am getting older.  Yes, I need to lose weight, but I have had a problem with my weight since I hit puberty and my blood pressure has always been low.  But that’s another post.
I am really glad that the clean eating has paid off.  My goal is to get off of the blood pressure medication at some point soon and have it under control.  I am not going to be one of these older people who take 20 pills a day and solely subsidizing the pharmaceutical industry.  Maybe after the next 20 pounds comes off.  For now I am going to continue to eat clean, eat much less animal products, continue to peddle like crazy, and work to find a new doctor.

No comments:

Post a Comment