Friday, January 4, 2013

Cooking Fresh

I made pizza from scratch last night for dinner.  I followed a recipe that I found on Allrecipes.com which I had made actually about two weeks ago and froze because I wasn't going to use it immediately. I had separated it into three balls of dough before freezing so I could easily use as needed.  Well that was the idea anyway.  I should have rolled them and made circles from them instead of putting them into a slight blob shapes and freezing, but it worked out okay after I defrosted one.

Why go to all that trouble you ask?  Well it really doesn't take that much work and it was so much better than store bought. I put some precooked some sliced tomatoes, red onion slices, and three sliced porta bella mushrooms in a pan with sliced garlic and a little oil before putting them on top.  Then I covered the vegetables with mozzarella cheese and baked as recommended.  It turned out pretty good.  I have a pizza stone that I got a while ago and I think that really makes a difference because the base of it comes out nice and crisp.

If you have the skills to cook, you really should cook as much from scratch as you can.  It is healthier, tastier, and you get to control what you want in the dish. Combine that with cooking fresh from the garden and you have a system that can't be beat. Maybe I am just a food snob, but I don't care.

No comments:

Post a Comment