Monday, January 13, 2014

Adventures in Cooking

So today I experimented in making my own sushi.  There are a ton of videos on the web on how to do it and all the materials are at the grocery store, it is just a matter of getting everything and trying it.

Technically, it is really easy, but as most things you see on YouTube, it is harder than it seems.  My biggest issue was the rolling and every one I did came out a little lopsided with the fillings pushing themselves toward the side rather than staying in the middle.  But I guess with anything, with practice it should get better.

My first attempt at a filling was avocado, roasted red pepper, and cucumber.  With the sushi rice and the wasabi sauce and ginger it tasted quite good.   I made the mistake of getting the sauce rather than the paste, but the taste is still there, albeit a little subdued.  The other thing I found is that the sticky rice is really sticky and sticks to the pot.  I do not have a rice cooker and I wasn't going to buy one just for this, so I did it on the stove top.  It really makes quite a mess and is hard to clean up.  I might try experimenting with this a little as I saw it can be steamed.  Anyway, it was tasty and I will definitely add this to my repertoire.

No comments:

Post a Comment