Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Breakfast Tostado

The other day I received my copy of Vegetarian Times and on the cover was a yummy looking dish called Black Bean with Kiwi Salsa Tostado.  

When I looked at the recipe there were no instructions on making one's own shell.  The recipe called for a pre-made one.  So I went in search of instructions on how to make them.  The last time I had attempted making tostados from scratch, the shell came out either burnt or limp.

I found one blog entry which suggested baking them after coating the surfaces with oil at 400 degrees.  They came out very nicely and offered the inspiration for this recipe. My husband, my greatest fan when it comes to eating my food, raved so much and basically pestered me to post this recipe. So I did them over today so that I could record the steps as I made them.  Yesterday I had leftover beans, which I didn't have today so that's why I made them optional.  If you use a very thin layer, there is a slightly different, richer taste.  I think I prefer using them, but either way, they are quite tasty.

Serves two.

2 corn tortillas
Olive oil
1 tsp butter
2 eggs, scrambled
Re-fried beans (optional)
1 tbs salsa
2 tbs chopped parsley or cilantro
2 tsp finely diced red onion
2 tsp sour cream
2 tsp grated Manchego cheese


Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Put the tortillas on a baking sheet and drizzle with olive oil on one side, and then using a brush cover the surface with the oil. Turn the tortillas over and do the same on the other side. Bake.

Mix the eggs in a small dish and melt the butter in the skillet. Cook the eggs, scramble style, and then cover and keep warm. When the tortillas have bubbles on the surface, check the underside. If they are golden brown, flip them over and bake a little while longer until both sides are brown and slightly crispy.

Assemble the tostadas: If using, put a thin layer of the beans on the tortilla. Divide the eggs between the tortillas and top with parsley or cilantro, diced onions, salsa, and sour cream. Sprinkle the cheese on the top and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment