Wednesday, September 23, 2009

You Don’t Know What You Are Missing

I am on the first day of my two-day prep for a colonoscopy. Oh the joys of getting old. For two days I have to have a liquid diet and take meds that will force me to evacuate. I am so hungry now, and I have a screaming headache. For “breakfast” I had two cups of black coffee, a half a cup of beef broth, a Jello cup, and a couple sips of Gatorade, which I can’t stand. The broth wasn’t too bad, but it had such a strong smell of beef that I almost threw up. I think I will live wild and have chicken broth instead tomorrow.

This afternoon I have to start on the chemical process to clean out my insides. Tomorrow is more of the same, but the chemicals are worse and they start earlier. My doctor says I have a long and loopy bowel. I guess that’s a bad thing. I did the one day prep the first time I had this procedure five years ago, but I did not get cleaned out enough. I had the process done over again six months later and did the two day prep and that gave him the results he needed. When you get this age, and have a history of stomach cancer in the family, this process has to be done every 5 years or so. I also have Irritable Bowel Syndrome so they want to make sure there is nothing more. Lovely.

I just pray I can get through this. I want food; something that I can chew and not just gum. But I know my duty and I know that I can do it. I did it before; I can do it now.

No comments:

Post a Comment