Thursday, August 8, 2013

Equality

Last weekend, I stood at the wedding at one of my LGBT friends' wedding, and next weekend I will stand at the wedding of another couple.  I am so proud to be witness to this historic moment  for Marriage Equality in the county that I live in.  I also attended a rally the other day to support the Montgomery County Register of Wills, D. Bruce Hanes, on his quest to abide by the US Constitution and against DOMA, and why it is so important.

Same-Sex Marriage is one of the last civil rights issue.  It has been a long time coming, but it is the right thing to do.  Our Gay brothers and sisters deserve this; they deserve the ability to wed who they love, they deserve the ability to be with each other and have the rights that all other married couples enjoy. Furthermore, they deserve the ability to be who they are and not be shunned for that.  Marriage Equality is in no way harming my marriage as a Straight woman and causes no harm to anyone.  I just can't understand why people would be denied the ability to be with who they love.

Years ago, African-American were lynched and forced to stand away from white folk.  Millions fought for their right to be recognized as humans who are just like anyone else.  The world didn't end because they earned those rights; the world did change though, and now it needs to change again.  Marriage Equality is just like that battle and it is time we begin to see that the Constitution really does mean that everyone is entitled to the pursuit of happiness.

No comments:

Post a Comment