Monday, August 19, 2013

Parenting 101

Every so often an article appears about parenting.  Sometimes  I read it and feel as if I was lacking in one way or another because new research now shows that one should not have been doing something that old research told you to do.  For example recently it was stated that letting your baby cry is a no-no, where as before, it was thought to be necessary to help them grow independent. Now it is shown that you have to answer their every cry to instill a feeling that they can depend on you.

An article appeared on Facebook today that made me feel a little better.  The one thing I got from this article is that the best thing you can do as a parent is to be there for your child.  I don't claim to be a great parent, and I feel very guilty for the bad state my adult child is in now, but I do feel that I was there for him; supporting him in all his twists and turns regardless of my personal feelings.  Children are not little us's.  They have their own personalities and often develop ideas that are very different that you.  I have always heard stories where the parents are very liberal and the child grows up to be very conservative.

Regardless of what the child grows up to be, the best thing you do can do is support your child and be there for them while they are growing.  Children are like plants; they need strong roots and good nutrition to grow healthy.  They need clean air, water, and loving to grow strong and thrive.  While they may stray, they should be able to depend on you to be there when they return. To me that is the basic lesson.


No comments:

Post a Comment