Monday, August 26, 2013

Men and Long Hair

Almost cut my hair
It happened just the other day
It's gettin' kind of long
I could've said it was in my way


Read an interesting article today that a friend posted on Facebook.  It appears according to this article that the reason that the Native Americans never cut their hair was that the long hair served as some sort of antenna that allowed them to be more aware of their environment. The friend who posted it is a woman who has long hair and not only has she not cut it, but she also dyes it as I think it is mostly grey.

Men's hair has always been short and generally when men grow it long it is a way to rebel against the establishment. My son tried it but his hair is not conducive to growing long as it is quite wavy.  But he had several friends when he was a teen who had longer hair than they do now that they are grown and trying to make it in the adult world.  Frankly I don't mind the hair being long as a way to rebel.  To me it's better than tattoos, but then again, that's just my opinion.  

Long hair has been used as a fashion statement as well, and many famous men have long hair.  The one who springs to mind is Fabio. I don't think he is doing it as a rebellion, but then again maybe he is or maybe it is just about the money.  I did a search for long hair on men and various sites came up advising men on how to keep their long hair looking good.  So maybe this thing with Native American long hair is not just history, but current fashion as well.



No comments:

Post a Comment