Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Herbal Remedies

Today, while researching natural remedies for colds, I came across a site that has a list specific remedies to help.  Over the last few years, I have become more and more interested in natural remedies over Western medicine.  To me the drug industry is just trying to separate you from your money and get us hooked on different pharmaceuticals.   Yeah, for cancer and serious illnesses I am certainly not going to refuse drugs, but I would investigate natural substances to supplement.   I think we as a nation take way too many artificial medications and that it will ultimately cause a decline in overall health over the next generations.
That being said, for the common cold I have heard many people tell me that they are taking antibiotics and I am horrified.  A cold, or even the flu, is a virus; everybody knows that.  An antibiotic, like its name suggests, kills bacteria and will do nothing to help a cold or even the flu.  I think a doctor who prescribes antibiotics for a cold should have their license revoked.  Maybe if a serious cold or flu has caused a bacterial infection then it would be okay but the doctor should really do a blood test to determine if bacteria are present.  Trouble is that most blood tests for those purposes take a long time to culture so some doctors just figure it’s benign enough to do.  Not so!  I don’t have a medical degree, but I do know that antibiotics kill EVERYTHING in your body including the good bacteria that help digest food properly, and not having anything is not good and can lead to other issues. 
So in the future instead of subscribing to the theory that you need to take a score of chemicals to run your life, look toward nature and see if there is something that can help with a minor cold or ailment.  I think you will find that being gentler on your body with the use of natural herbs and plants is better in the long run.  Stay healthy out there!

No comments:

Post a Comment