Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Lemon Tree

Lemon tree very pretty
And the lemon flower is sweet
But the fruit of the poor lemon is impossible to eat.
I have had this song running through my head for several days now since I have received my lemon tree.  I ordered a Meyers Lemon from Fast Growing Tees a few weeks ago and it was at the door Friday when I got home from work.  It was very timely because I had time over the weekend to get the container and soil I wanted to put it in.  It is currently in my dining room awaiting the warmer weather so it can go out on the patio.  I am very excited because when it arrived it had several tiny lemons and many buds on it already.  I can’t wait to see them get ripe so I can use them.
The Meyer Lemon is actually native to China and thought to be a cross between a true lemon another fruit. The Meyer lemon is commonly grown in China in garden pots as an ornamental tree but became popular as a food item in America during the California Cuisine revolution. I have read some articles saying that Meyer lemons are actually sweeter than regular lemons on some of the blogs that I have read.  I am anxious to try it.  The Meyer variety is relatively hardy, can withstand colder temperatures, and is fast growing.  In addition it is very suitable for container growing which means I can bring it in during winter and have it on my patio during the summer.
For some reason I have always wanted a lemon tree.  Maybe it’s because of that crazy song, but I think more importantly now is that lemons are expensive at the store and if I grow my own then I can save a little money along with the money I will be saving overall with my vegetable garden.  I am looking forward to my first harvest from the new tree.

No comments:

Post a Comment