Monday, April 23, 2012

Bad News

I had lunch on Friday with a friend whom I haven’t seen for quite some time.  We used to work together before she retired and we have kept in touch since.  She and her husband are selling the house here and moving to North Carolina next month, so she wanted to have lunch before she left.  We had a great time, and also included another woman we worked with.  We were all just ready to leave when she announced that she had just been diagnosed with breast cancer.  It is stage one and they are still waiting for the results of the recent biopsy to determine the extent of the tumor.  She sounds as if she is taking it really well, but I can’t imagine what she is going through. 
I feel so bad for her.  I have only had one other friend who had breast cancer, and she was the other woman at the table.  For her it was caught really early and she underwent radiation and is currently cancer free but has to go for check-ups every year to make sure the cells don’t come back.  I know that many times when found early that it is very “curable”, but even so it is a terrible thing to have to go through and my heart goes out to her.
My friend is the one of the strongest women I know.  She doesn’t take crap from anyone and generally has a great outlook on life.  She is always looking on the bright side and frequently has an amusing anecdote to tell or emails funny jokes.  I know that her attitude will help in this situation, but still no matter what kind of viewpoint you have in life a diagnosis like cancer is hard for anyone to take.  She has gone through a lot mostly due to the drama caused by her daughter as well as a certain amount of issues with her husband.  I am praying for her and hope that despite everything her condition ends up in the most positive way possible. 

No comments:

Post a Comment