Thursday, September 8, 2011

Great Flood Waters

I sat in wonder as I was reading the accounts of many of my Facebook friends who had issues with the flooding that are going on today.  Several of them experienced cars flooded with water, basements and homes ruined, and schools closed.  I saw on the news that one school was forced to close because of the mold that resulted from all the wetness.  Many people have made reference to the Great Flood as well as building arks and other types of flotation devices.  I really feel for these people and wish I could help every one of them.  I also feel very fortunate as I have had nothing more than a few rivulets of water in my basement and one small leak in my roof.

When tragedy strikes people I know, I don’t know about you, but I tend to feel a little guilty also.  I hate to see people suffering when there is nothing that anyone can do.  I question the tests that God puts us through sometimes and try to keep the faith trying to believe that God only gives us what we can handle even though it seems insurmountable at the time.  I am very thankful that I am not affected and wonder if I am being tested as well.  Am I expected to do something?  Should I be doing something?

Often we lose ourselves in the walls of our own universe.  We concentrate on our own families and friends and leave the outside world to its own devices.  We tend to close our front doors to the noise and problems going on outside our homes and relish in the peace that our environment provides.  However, we are our brother’s keeper, or so the bible says.  Should we not be concerned with the things going on immediately behind our own closed doors?   Shouldn't we be involved, at the very least, when our family and friends outside the confines of our own homes are concerned?  If we don’t reach out ourselves, how can we expect total strangers to help out?  Let's all see what we can do.

No comments:

Post a Comment