Monday, September 12, 2011

Happy New Year

For some reason, the beginning of September seems more like New Years to me than January 1st .  Maybe it’s the start of a new season, the start of a new school year, the start of a bounty harvest in my home garden, and the start of earnest campaigning.  This morning I heard the cry of a goose flying overhead and all those feelings started rushing back to me.

Sure the sound of party horns and the sting of cold air hitting my face as we rush from the party to the car is what News Year’s Eve is all about, but the smell of newly sharpened pencils does more for me than that.  I mean what do you do New Year’s Day except lie around and watch the parade on TV and relax from partying all night long.  After Labor Day it’s back to the grind of school work, if you are still a student, and looking forward to long hours in the campaign office if you are politically inclined.  It’s productive and it is motivating to start anew for all those projects. 

Or just maybe it’s my Jewish ancestry that gives me this feeling.  After all Rosh Hashanah is the Jewish New Year.  It is the first of the High Holidays, celebrated this year on September 28th.  On Rosh HaShanah it is customary to greet people with "L'Shanah Tovah," which is Hebrew that is usually translated as "For a Good Year" or "May you have a good year."

So Happy New Year or L'Shanah Tovah.  May you have a good and productive start to your new activities this season.  

No comments:

Post a Comment