Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Twenty and Five

Twenty five years ago today, I married the man who would become my best friend as well as my lover and father to our child.  It has been a wonderful life so far and I know that there are more good times to come.  Sure, there have been our squabbles and for a while there I didn’t think we were going to make it, but it has turned out great.

I am not going to say what the secret is to a long marriage.  All I am going to say is what works for us, and that is two people who treat each other with respect and kindness.  We are honest with each other and work to be kind.  Both have to work at it because it is not a one way street.   I think that is where the trouble can be in some marriages; one or the other turn it into a my-way-or-the-highway kind of deal.  There has to be a large amount of compromise for both parties to make the relationship last.

I must say I am very lucky to have found a person who is as agreeable as my husband is.  He has his moments but on the whole he is a kind soul; one who has compassion and that makes it relatively easy.  So here’s to another twenty and five years – if we both live that long.

Happy anniversary, dear one.

No comments:

Post a Comment