Monday, August 8, 2011

Drought

I heard over the weekend that Montgomery County has called a drought even in the light of the recent rain.  I remember a long time ago, a saying that was going around “save water, shower with a friend”.  Although that can be fun, it’s not always practical, especially if you are living alone, or have different schedules with your significant other.  But I try to do my part by doing the following things:
  1. 1.       Turn the water off when you are brushing your teeth.
  2. 2.       Adopt a “let it mellow” philosophy.  I know that can be pretty rank, but in desperate times…
  3. 3.       Turn the water off in the shower between soap usage.  I usually get in and get my hair wet, turn off the water, shampoo, turn the water back on and rinse, then turn it back off to soap up and then turn on again to rinse.
  4. 4.       Use liquid soap so you don’t have to leave the water running washing your hands.
  5. 5.       Use a dishwasher if you have one.
  6. 6.       Go to a car wash that recycles its water.
  7. 7.       Save rainwater (such as it is) to water your plants.  You have to be careful with this one as it can breed mosquitoes, but if you cover the container with a fine mesh you can reduce it a little.


No comments:

Post a Comment