Tuesday, August 2, 2011

My Tech Items Know Me

I read an article the other day about how the technical gadgets you have are getting to know you better.  I found it really interesting and not at all creepy because it is very convenient that my gadgets follow me around and understand where I am at any given point. Because of my new job I not always at the same place every day all day long.  I move around and my information moves around with me.  If I am in Abington, I can look at information on my phone that pertains to that area.  That makes it really helpful because I don’t know Abington very well.  I still need to use my navigational app to get me to the nearest coffee shop, for example. 

The article talks about what the gadgets do with the information.  For example they are talking about the fact that if you follow a certain band, and you get into an area that they are playing that your phone will alert you to the fact that you could catch them in person nearby.  I have heard of retail stores that are looking into texting when you get within a certain distance from their shop to tell you of new deals and things that could be of interest to you.  I am not sure that businesses are doing that now, but it seems like a good thing, if you are into that kind of thing.  I would love it if when I was at the grocery store they sent me coupons on the things I buy anyway.  I would hope that the stores would not do this unless you told them you wanted.  I can just hear my mother screaming about invasion of privacy if these random texts were sent without permission.

As time goes on and technology gets better, more of this personalized stuff is going to come about.  Personally I don’t have an issue with it if I can manage it.  What I really hate is going to websites that assume you want a particular content based on your location or previous browsing habits.  I do want to have some control over my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment