Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Lifestyle Change

I have been flirting with the idea of going vegetarian again.  I did it once several years ago and it was total failure.  My husband hates vegan and I don’t see any real reason to go there unless I can stop cooking meat altogether so this is going to be a major challenge.  I frankly don’t see the point to trying to eat a plant based diet if I have to cook meat for him. 
At any rate, the other day a coworker, who is vegan, loaned me a book called The Kind Diet by Alicia Silverstone.  The coworker loaned it to me because I had asked her for a recipe for granola and it is in the book.  Also in the book is a whole narrative of how Silverstone went vegan and why she supports it.  There are medical testimonials in there from various doctors as well touting the benefits of a plant based diet. It seems to make sense so I am willing to "dip my toe in the water", as she says, and learn more about it. 
The last time I did this, I gained a lot of weight because I ate way too much pasta.  Now that I have the vegetable garden going and we have been enjoying wonderful salad greens and some other things maybe things can be a little different.  In addition I have learned to control my eating issues and hold them at bay and eat healthy, natural foods with the Mediterranean Diet Plan.  I had tried to cook Tofu in the past and disguise it from my husband but that didn’t seem to work all that much.  I do cook one or two vegetarian meals a week now but if I can somehow phase in more, that would be great.  I do know that the whole meat production is a huge drain on the planet and by doing one or two meatless meals a week we can help reduce that a little.  The bottom line is that it is all about being healthier and doing my part to treat the earth with respect and love. What can be wrong about that?

No comments:

Post a Comment